a little disillusioned

From: "Frequency UnKnown" <captainmofopants(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: a little disillusioned
Date: 2004-01-21 05:12:41
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
well, my ploy failed. having never got a decent answer from any technical
forum, i had to try.

so back to the tried and tested method:

can anyone explain to me why tomcat 5 will not find org.postgresql.Driver
when it is definitely there?

i know this is a very broad question but i have covered the obvious things
like class path and such (which, i might add, is the worst part of Java
invented). the only thing that seems to work for me is to extract the
contents of the .JAR file into my $JAVAHOME. surely this is NOT the way to
do it - otherwise the package wouldn't even come as a JAR. in fact, i've got
plenty of other JARs working, such as the SmartUploader, SOAP handlers and
the like.

So what's the difference between me directly instantiating a class (which it
seems i can do) and calling Class.forName()/createInstance() (or whatever it
is) in terms of where Java looks for classes? as i said, the classpath for
my system, for java, and for tomcat are all pointed to the place where I
have put the JAR.

i'm running debian, if that helps.

Shelley Pants
Web Developer

PS: i will go elsewhere if i am in the wrong place too. is there a forum
more related to my topic?

Protect your inbox from harmful viruses with new ninemsn Premium. Click here

pgsql-jdbc by date