Re: reindexing, pg_class (and other system tables)

From: "Sally Sally" <dedeb17(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: kleptog(at)svana(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reindexing, pg_class (and other system tables)
Date: 2004-02-25 23:20:17
Lists: pgsql-general
wait a minute, I thought it was under pg_class that you can look up the
actual number because so far for all the others it has been the same (the
oid field under pg_class)
Sally

>From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
>To: Sally Sally <dedeb17(at)hotmail(dot)com>
>CC: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
>Subject: Re: [GENERAL] reindexing, pg_class (and other system tables)
>Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:01:06 +1100
>
>The filename on disk is stored in relfilenode, not in oid.
>
>On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 10:17:47PM +0000, Sally Sally wrote:
> > Very strange things are happening when I am reindexing a table. I did
>this
> > with postmaster running as a standalone. The index for the table prior
> > reindexing is on a separate disk and I created a sym link (due to lack
>of
> > space). When the reindexing is done I see new files created under
> > /data/base/dbnumber/ but when I look at pg_class table it is pointing
>still
> > to the old index because the oid I get is the older one. What does this
> > mean? I assumed reindexing a non-sys table with postmaster running as a
> > standalone would also update the relevant tables. Do I have to do a
> > separate process to update the pg_class and other tables that need to be
> > aware of the reindexing?
> > Sally

> > Stay informed on Election 2004 and the race to Super Tuesday.
> > http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx

> >    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org)
>
>--
>Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/
> > If the Catholic church can survive the printing press, science fiction
> > will certainly weather the advent of bookwarez.
> >    http://craphound.com/ebooksneitherenorbooks.txt - Cory Doctorow
><< attach3 >>

Watch high-quality video with fast playback at MSN Video. Free!

pgsql-general by date

Previous:From: Martijn van OosterhoutDate: 2004-02-25 23:01:06