Re: PLpgSQL: list of scalars as row for assign stmt, fore and fors stm

From: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, neilc(at)samurai(dot)com
Subject: Re: PLpgSQL: list of scalars as row for assign stmt, fore and fors stm
Date: 2005-12-20 21:37:26
Lists: pgsql-patches

>"Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> >     x, y := r;
>
>That strikes me as a really bad idea.  It weakens both syntax and
>semantic error checking, to accomplish how much?

It's same as select into or execute into (using same code). And behave is
like row variable := row variable. I am not sure if it's good idea. But it's
can be usefull when you have out variables and you have to fill them. There
are not control for count of arguments, but types are checked.

I can understand so this topic is little bit controvers. And maybe we don't
need this statements, if we have this possibility in fore and fors stmts.

Regards
Pavel Stehule

Emotikony a pozadi programu MSN Messenger ozivi vasi konverzaci.
http://messenger.msn.cz/