can install pg - it's unbelievable

From: "David B(dot)" <incomex(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: can install pg - it's unbelievable
Date: 2005-03-23 01:59:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I have been fighting over this for 3 weeks - 3 weeks people - it's
unbelievable.
An rpm package should include all dependencies - why is this so difficult?

PG is a killer program, but what's the use if no one can get it installed.

This thing needs libreadline.so.5 why? why? why does it need it? why not
compile it
into the rpm? tell me this, why why why do I have to fight over this over
and over and over.

I have libreadline.so.5 installed in every single /lib folder I have and it
still won't install using
rpm.

I tried installing 8.0.1 with the --nodeps tag and it installed just fine,
then of course
the psql command wouldn't work.

I intalled 8.0.something beta2 on my microsoft box and it took less than an
hour -
why won't this work?

I have to get this done and it just won't work, I have wasted weeks on this
and I just can't
believe that you guys are releasing code that just won't install. There has
got to be a simple
solution for this. How many thousands are losing millions over this kind of
stuff - I just don't see it.
why do there have to be dependencies in rpms why explain this why why why.

just compile everything into an executable - one big fat executable, or at
least provide ALL
of the dependencies in the distribtution so that the rpm can find it and
install it if it isn't
already on the system.

I need someone to tell me where I need to put that damned libreadline.so.5
so that I can
rpm 8.0.1, I would also like a source for ALL of the other dependecies. I
can't install any of
the 8.0.1 stuff because EVERY SINGLE RPM requires dependencies I don't have
on my system.
why don't you provide them to begin with.

If I dont' have to have readline, then why require it at all? what function
does it provide?
is the lack of readline the reason I couldn't psql into my database?

sorry to pester, but I have no other way to express myself.

If I get the libreadline in the right folder are there more suprises? how
many other dependencies
does server need? huh?

I couldn't install server until I had client installed first, I can't
install client so far because of readline,
I can't install devel because of a half dozen or so dependencies, I can't
install contrib because
of even more dependencies, it's ridiculous. JUST PACKAGE EVERYTHING
TOGETHER AND BE
DONE WITH IT. Don't release it, if it isn't right. Please don't cost
people so much heartache
by releasing an rpm that doesn't have all of the dependencies, and frankly
you need to provide
way way more rpms than just the 3 or so that you seem to have.

I use mandrake 10.1, not debian, not redhat, mandrake - mandrake is huge,
way more than debian
and there really isn't a legitimate reason for you to be providing a debian
distribtution while
not providing a mandrake one.

In retrospect of the last paragraph, I should back up a bit then, because
the rpm I got was through
mandrake cooker not you guys, so you couldn't be responsible for the rpms
being as crappy as they
are, so you think you could put a mandrake rpm up?

I tried compiling from source but of course that didn't work either-
something about needing
dependencies. Are you seeing a pattern here? NO NO NO NO NO NO GET IT NO
DEPENDENCIES.

linux and Postgresql are never ever going to be ready for prime time
consumption at this rate.
it's a shame.

if you could email me back with some guidellines, please, thanks.

incomex(at)hotmail(dot)com