Re: SQL/XML publishing function experimental patch II

From: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: david(at)fetter(dot)org, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL/XML publishing function experimental patch II
Date: 2006-06-15 04:45:27
Lists: pgsql-patches

>Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> > Do we want this XML patch in the backend?  It needs syntax support so I
> > don't see how it could be done in /contrib.  Attached.
>
>I think this could easily be done as an external module if it didn't
>insist on random additions to the function-call syntax.  AFAICS there
>isn't anything there that couldn't be done without that.

No, I am sorry, it's cannot be external module. Or cannot be without losting
functionality and elegance of SQL/XML. It's really depend on parser. People
which generate XML from database used it. But not now, because PostgreSQL
don't support it. But it's the moust faster way for generating XML files,
10x faster then PHP or Perl. Please look again on this patch. I am not sure
about solution without ANSI compatibility.

Regards
Pavel Stehule

Emotikony a pozadi programu MSN Messenger ozivi vasi konverzaci.
http://messenger.msn.cz/