Re: PostgreSQLs Extension

From: "Anderson C(dot) Carniel" <accarniel(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQLs Extension
Date: 2012-07-29 00:36:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi!
Thanks for quick response.
> you can create new data types, new operators, new types of indexes if
> you want... the question is, what are you trying to do?
I want to define a new type of geographic data, as well as the PostGIS's data. Also, my intention is to define new topological operators (eg intersection). For this, I wonder if using the approach of User-Defined Types is best. With this approach can I change the query processing to handle the new type the way I want? This approach directly affects the performance in query processing?

> what kind of changes?

Also, maybe I'll make changes to the SQL language and implement them in PostgreSQL. Per example, changes in syntax and define new reserved words (for any specific treatment, when it detected my data type).
Thanks for help.
Best regards,
Anderson Carniel[]s