Re: libpq connectoin redirect

From: feng tian <ft_uw(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq connectoin redirect
Date: 2010-04-22 16:51:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, John,

The change will be on the libpq client side. I am not saying this is a general
solution for the distributed transaction/scale out. However, in many cases, it
is very useful. For example, in my case, I have about 100 departments each has
it own database. The balance machine can just redirect to the right box according
to database/user. The 4 boxes I have may not even get domain name or static IP.
Another scenario, if I have some kind of replication set up, I can send transaction
processing to master and analytic reporting query to slaves.

Thanks,
Feng

feng tian wrote:
Hi,

I want to load balance a postgres server on 4 physical
machines, say
127.0.0.11-14. I can set up a pgbouncer on 127.0.0.10 and
connection
pooling to my four boxes. However, the traffic from/to clients
will
go through an extra hop. Another way to do this, is to send
the
client an "redirect" message. When client connect to
127.0.0.10,
instead of accepting the connection, it can reply to client
telling it
to reconnect to one of the server on 127.0.0.11-14.

I am planning to write/submit a patch to do that. I wonder if
there
is similar effort in extending libpq protocol, or, if you have
better
ideas on how to achieve this.

how do you plan on maintaining consistency, transactional
integrity and
atomicity of updates across these 4 machines?