Re: Mapping one to many

From: "Robert Wimmer" <seppwimmer(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: Nabil(at)kramer-smilko(dot)com, rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: lefevre(dot)10(at)osu(dot)edu, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mapping one to many
Date: 2007-06-13 20:53:16
Lists: pgsql-novice

>I am not saying that this solution doesn't work or even that is a  "bad"
>one but what I'm saying is that there is obviously a better  solution. Also
>there are better forms, other than row/column, in  which to module data but
>there any Databases that support them. If  you'll notice from my second
>message I was asking why that is so is  so and to please enlighten me to
>the magic of RMDBs. I feel as if  there is something about RMDBs that will
>explain alot but is just  beyond my reach and I what to know what it is.

Sometimes it's really good to know, why things are how the are. The base for
RDBMs is pure mathematic.

This would be a first step into it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codd

Besides, there is no problem to store tree structures in an SQL System. As
far as i know there even exists an LDAP implementation in DB2. Here is a
description (hard to read for beginners - but it works and is "simple")

Regards Sepp

Sensationelle Konzerte auf allen Kontinenten - Musik für unsere Mutter Erde.
http://liveearthsos.msn.com/Hub.aspx?mkt=de-at