Re: Using VC++ Express to develop pgAdmin3

From: "Jeff Boehmer" <jeff_boehmer(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using VC++ Express to develop pgAdmin3
Date: 2007-03-07 16:45:05
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Dave,

Thanks.  I went back and started over completely.  I set my environment up
exactly as it is in the vcproj file, followed all the instructions to the
letter and it compiled and ran.  I think the problem I was seeing was
because I had failed to compile some libs as unicode.

Note:  The build widgets bat file did not work since vcbuild at the command
prompt could not see the PDK includes and libs.  Since VC Express could see
them, I just opened each project and compiled them for Debug and Release.

I had the same problem compiling the libpq.lib file but I used a hack where
I copied the includes and libs from the PDK into VC Express' include and lib
directories.  I didn't like doing that so I did it on another computer.

Thanks again for your help,

Jeff

>From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
>To: Jeff Boehmer <jeff_boehmer(at)hotmail(dot)com>
>CC: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
>Subject: Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Using VC++ Express to develop pgAdmin3
>Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 19:15:38 +0000
>
>Jeff Boehmer wrote:
>>
>>David,
>>
>>Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>I am able to run the wxWidgets samples and create my own wxWidget 'hello
>>world' test.
>>
>>While going through the setup for the 'hello world' I realized that some
>>of the additional dependencies I had set up for pgAdmin3 were incorrect.
>>(That's what I get for cutting and pasting from help sites without cross
>>checking my libraries.)
>>
>>I still get the access violation but I can now debug the location
>>(wxStringBase.GetStringData()).  I will sweep through my setup again and
>>double check everything.
>
>Did you read all of our setup documentation? There's some help at
>http://svn.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/pgadmin3/xtra/wx-build/readme.txt?rev=5679&view=markup,
>as well as on the website at http://www.pgadmin.org/download/source.php
>
>Regards, Dave.

>TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Win a Zunemake MSN your homepage for your chance to win!
http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline