setting up a mirroring or replication database

From: Karthikeyan Sundaram <skarthi98(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: setting up a mirroring or replication database
Date: 2007-04-13 00:39:13
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-sql

Hi Team,

We are using Postgres 8.1.0 and in the plans to migrate to 8.2.3. Ours is a OLTP application. Publishers, advertisers and consumers use our system world wide. Right now it's not a very big database. But we are expanding our operations to Europe and US where we are expecting a moster growth.

I want to setup a mirroring database or replications database so that if one database crash, the load balancing database should take care or it. Not only that, if I am upgrading one database, the other should take the load.

I have never set this kind of replication or mirroring the database before. What are the steps and procedures to do this kind of setup.

Please advise.

Regards
skarthi

Live Search Maps – find all the local information you need, right when you need it.
http://maps.live.com/?icid=wlmtag2&FORM=MGAC01