Re: how to add a new data partition

From: "Karthikeyan Sundaram" <skarthi98(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to add a new data partition
Date: 2007-02-07 00:09:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Scott,

Thanks for replying. The tablespace is not the main problem here. I
want the data files to grow in the new partition along with the old linux
partition.

Let me put like this.

We have a linux partition of 120GB called as
/local/postgres/database/Data/< followed by all files>

This /local partition is 95 % used.

So we are adding one more partition called /local1 which is
approximately 250 GB. Now I want to inform postgres that after /local
partiion is 100 %, I want to utilize the /local1 so that the database can
grow significantly. In other words, the data file created and maintained by
postgres will grow in the /local1 partition.

How to do this in postgres?

I don't want to compare with Oracle. But in Oracle, when we create the
DB

we will tell alter database add data file
'/local/postgres/database/data'
then if /local partition is full, we can add another data file such as
alter database <db Name> add data file '/local1/data2'

Is there a similar way or equivalent way to do in postgres?

Regards
skarthi

>From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
>To: Karthikeyan Sundaram <skarthi98(at)hotmail(dot)com>
>CC: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
>Subject: Re: [ADMIN] how to add a new data partition
>Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 17:17:15 -0600
>
>On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 15:46, Karthikeyan Sundaram wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are using postgres 8.0.1 on our production and 8.2 on our
>development.
> > The linuix partition is getting full where the database resides. In few
> > weeks our partition will ran out of space so the database will also run
>out
> > of space. We have added another HDD of 300GB. Now my question is, how
>will
> > I point the database to the new partition along with the old one. Do I
>need
> > to create a symbolic link to the exitisting DB?
> >
> > Adding a new tablespace doesn't solve the issue as there are many
>tables
> > in the old tablespace. Is there a way to extend the tablespace to the
>new
> > partition like in Oracle.
>
>So,
>
>alter table ... set tablespace new_tablespace
>
>doesn't work for you in this circumstance?

>TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
> match

Spaces