alter sequence in a function

From: Julio Leyva <jcleyva(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: alter sequence in a function
Date: 2007-07-03 22:48:30
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi allI'm trying to create a function that alters a sequenceThis what I'm doingcreate or replace function updatesafe()  returns integer AS $$DECLAREmaxseq integer;alterseq varchar(256);thumb integer;newvalue integer;BEGINnewvalue := 10010;  maxseq := (select max(safeoperationid) from safeopencloseoperation);    if (maxseq < 500) then      return 3000;   else    execute 'ALTER sequence safeopencloseoperation_id_seq restart with ' || 'newvalue ' ;    return 10000; END IF;END;$$ language plpgsqlIt compiles ok but when I call the functionit gives me this error ALTER sequence safeopencloseoperation_id_seq restart with newvalueCONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "updatesafe" line 17 at execute statementLINE 1: ...equence safeopencloseoperation_id_seq restart with newvalueHowever when I change the alter sequence for thisALTER sequence safeopencloseoperation_id_seq restart with 10000 ;The function is ok,It means that we can't use such a utility inside a function? I mean replacing a value for a variable?Thanks for any suggestion

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: ngaleyevDate: 2007-07-03 23:35:26