cached memory

From: dx k9 <bitsandbytes88(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: posgres support <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: cached memory
Date: 2007-11-14 21:13:35
Lists: pgsql-admin
    Hi,

   In looking at some cacti memory usage graphs, the Oracle servers show only 6 of a total of16 GB of RAM as 'Total Available'.  Whereas,  our Postgres version 8.24 servers show all 16 GB of RAM totally available or free.    Some people are asking why Postgres doesn't take that memory and lock into it, so you can't see less 'total available' memory.   We use a lot of B-tree indexes.   This may or may not be related, but it there a good way to make sure those stay in memory?

  Thanks,
  ~DjK

pgsql-admin by date