Re: correct format for date, time, timestamp for XML functionality

From: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net
Subject: Re: correct format for date, time, timestamp for XML functionality
Date: 2007-02-20 15:32:28
Lists: pgsql-patches

>Pavel Stehule wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>this patch ensures independency datetime fields on current datestyle
>>setting. Add new internal datestyle USE_XSD_DATESTYLE. It's almoust same
>>to USE_ISO_DATESTYLE. Differences are for timestamp:
>>
>>ISO: yyyy-mm-dd hh24:mi:ss
>>XSD: yyyy-mm-ddThh24:mi:ss
>>

>Pavel,
>
>I agree that we should have some support for XSD date style so that we can
>produce validatable XML documents. In fact I had to make just such a
>transformation on data pulled from Postgres recently in application code to
>get a document to validate.
>
>However, I have not seen this topic discussed on -hackers. The way we work
>is that ideas about features should be discussed there before you submit a
>patch. For one thing, -hackers has a somewhat wider set of readers than
>-patches. Also, you might well get good ideas about any likely
>difficulties. Just lobbing a patch for an undiscussed feature over the wall
>like this is not good practice. You should get signoff on the idea before
>you start coding, even for fairly small changes.

I am sorry. I reported this two times before. This patch is related only for
xml functionality. XSD datestyle is only one internal constant. There are no
new datestyle (I hope so can be usefull). My patch is small bug fix like
Peter's patch for boolean datatype. Generating invalid xml is bug not
feature, no?

Primary I had to send this patch to Peter.

nice a day
Pavel Stehule

Emotikony a pozadi programu MSN Messenger ozivi vasi konverzaci.
http://messenger.msn.cz/