Re: Hello World

From: "Michael Schmidt" <michaelmschmidt(at)msn(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Andreas" <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Hello World
Date: 2006-11-21 17:52:19
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Andreas,
I was in a similar situation about two years ago and have, slowly, learned a bit about Java. Java itself is deceptively simple but to use it effectively, you will want to use one of the IDE platforms. I chose Eclipse over the others because it allows native access to SWT and JFace, and because it is open-source and free (like PostgreSQL). Eclipse has a pretty steep learning curve, but being a stubborn German, I stuck with it and now am able to do most things fairly easily. For the beginner, I would recommend investing in the Designer or RCP builder plug-in from Instantiations.

Working on my application, I realized that I could start by writing a basic, generic UI and then add custom features specific to my application later. I made the generic UI available at PgFoundry (the Komo project). It includes database access (password and other settings), as well as general utilities (back up, restore, vacuum). The code isn't perfect, but it works. Hopefully, this will serve as the "Hello World" application you are looking for. Here's the link http://pgfoundry.org/projects/komo-client/<http://pgfoundry.org/projects/komo-client/>

Michael Schmidt