insert more than one rows

From: "roy simkes" <roysimkes(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: insert more than one rows
Date: 2006-06-28 07:59:44
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,I'm using Pgsql 8.1 in my project and I have to insert more than
one rows with one sql query as the insert commmand slows a lot the
server and comsumes too much resources. I have read some older mails
about this and most of them recommended to use COPY command but the
thing is I don't have a chance to create a file. I have a php form
which takes data and then execute some queries after the submit. I will
have probably 100 rows maximum (just a guess). It wont slow down a lot,
but I want to find and use a better alternative than to use a for
statement to insert datas.In some of the mails someone had talked
about to use the copy's stdout command. But I can't honestly say that I
understood clearly how to use it. I don't want to create a file
with php and then populate and then use the copy command by that as it
will be more problematic. So what do you suggest? Can I use the COPY
command without pointing a file? Or can I point a string variable to
use it as source while the delimeter is something else than the tab
character (the | character perhaps). Or can I point a string array
simply? (When i say point i mean to use it as datasource. Sorry for my
bad english)Thank you for your timeRoy Simkes
Try Live.com - your fast, personalized homepage with all the things you care about in one place.
http://www.live.com/getstarted