A few comparison terms just to be sure.

From: "Dale Cooper" <sa_dale_cooper(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: A few comparison terms just to be sure.
Date: 2007-07-01 21:19:15
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi everyone.
For a long time I've been an Oracle developer and administrator but recently
I became seduced by what I read about Postgresql. So I downloaded and
installed a server and I'm reading the docs right now, ready to start
practicing.
Just to feel at home, I would like to make a few comparisons between oracle
and postgresql and I hope somebody can confirm if I'm right or not.
The questions:
1- What I know as an oracle database (a group of schemas), in postgresql is
called a cluster. Is that right?
2- what I know as "schema", in postgresql is called a "database"?
3- Every user is the superuser of his own schema/database but is there a
SYS/SYSMAN/SYSTEM (DBA) user who has access to all "databases"? I place
where I can log in and control what everyone is doing?
4- What in Oracle is the SYSTEM/SYSAUX schema (where all oracle's own
objects reside) is the "postgres" database (I didn't find this schema
although I read about in the docs: chapter 16.2)?

I know these are pretty simple question and I'm really thankful in advance
for any comments.

Regards.

Regístrate en el nuevo Windows Live Messenger beta.
http://imagine-msn.com/minisites/messenger/default.aspx?locale=es-ar