postgres and persistant connections (using Apache::DBI)

From: "Salem Berhanu" <salemb4(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgres and persistant connections (using Apache::DBI)
Date: 2006-03-28 22:26:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am trying to set up a persistent connection to a handful of postgres dbs
at startup using Apache::DBI (also using mod_perl)
Here is what I am doing but I am not sure how to check if it's working
right.

in httpd.conf I have
PerlRequire startup.pl

in startup.pl I load all the necessary perl modules and also include the
lines

use Apache::DBI;
Apache::DBI->connect_on_init( host, login, password);

This doesnt seem to make any difference. I was expecting to see database
connections when I restarted apache and that all queries would get handled
by these connections. Is this a wrong assumption? What is the expectation
and what would be a good test when setting up persistent connections to a
postgres db?
Thanks much
Salem