Re: Auto-explain patch

From: Dean Rasheed <dean_rasheed(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Auto-explain patch
Date: 2008-07-11 09:33:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ooops. That last patch had an embarrassing little typo which caused it to not
actually record the planner times.

This new version fixes that and also includes a little patch to psql so that it
ignores any backend notices during tab-completion, which otherwise just get
in the way. Trace during tab-completion still goes to the server log, if enabled,
since this might actually be useful for debugging psql.

> * trace_min_planner_duration - int, PGC_USERSET
> * trace_min_executor_duration - int, PGC_USERSET
> * trace_explain_plan - bool, PGC_USERSET

I'm toying with the idea of adding another parameter, just for convenience:

* auto_trace = on | off

If trace_min_planner_duration and trace_min_executor_duration are both -1,
then setting auto_trace=on would be equivalent to setting
trace_min_planner_duration=0, trace_min_executor_duration=0 and
trace_explain_plan=on, causing *all* statements to be timed and explained
(similar to Oracle's AUTOTRACE).

If either of trace_min_planner_duration or trace_min_executor_duration
are> -1, then auto_trace will do nothing, and only those queries that are
slow to plan and/or execute would be logged.

I'll hold off actually do any more with this for now though, because I feel
that there are still a couple of questions not fully answered:

* Is a whole new logging level (TRACE) overkill for this, or would it
potentially have other uses in the future? My feeling is that it works quite
nicely.

* It it safe to open this up to ordinary users, or do more restrictions need
to be put on it, and if so what?

Regards, Dean

The John Lewis Clearance - save up to 50% with FREE delivery
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/101719806/direct/01/

Attachment Content-Type Size
auto-explain4.patch text/x-patch 19.2 KB