pg_restore

From: "D Kavan" <bitsandbytes88(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_restore
Date: 2005-08-11 19:29:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all,

We are running postgres 8.03.

Getting a dump is no problem on our 6 GB database. However, the restore is
a killer, it takes 10 minutes for the dump pg_dump, but over 5 hours for a
restore. Is there a way to 'turn off transactions' on the restore to speed
things up? I've tried different restore commands, but I don't see anything
on transactions logging. What else could speed it up? oracle and sybase
can restore the same db in just 90 minutes. Does postgres just not know
how to take advantage of the resources unless different users are involved?
In other words to speed it up, should I script different users to each
restore some of the tables to a database and then after all the tables have
restored, restore keys and then indexes? Thanks for any help.

~DjK

psql dbname < dump_file
pg_restore -d test_restore_2 -Fc niehs_dump.backup