Re: Why so slow?

From: "Bealach-na Bo" <bealach_na_bo(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why so slow?
Date: 2006-04-28 17:37:30
Lists: pgsql-performance

>The above shows that the indexes contained 10M rows and 160M of dead
>space each. That means you weren't vacuuming nearly enough.

How is it that a row in the table can grow to a size far exceeding the sum
of the maximum sized of the fields it consists of?

>13M dead rows, and the table is 1.4M pages, or 11GB. No wonder it's
>slow.

I had a look at the disk files and they are HUGE indeed.

>You need to run a vacuum full, and then you need to vacuum far more
>often. If you're running 8.1, turn on autovacuum and cut each default
>scale factor in half, to 0.2 and 0.1.

I'm not runing 8.1. Is there a way of doing this in 8.0 or do I need to
write a shell script + cron job?

Regards,

Bealach