PREPARE/EXECUTE across backends?

From: "Jingren Zhou" <jrzhoupro(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PREPARE/EXECUTE across backends?
Date: 2003-10-02 00:25:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

From the document, it seems that PREPARE/EXECUTE works only in the same
session. I am wondering whether postgres can prepare a query (save the plan)
for difference backends.

I am working on a project which requires executing "psql -c 'query'" in
command line multiple times. Since the performance is critical, it would be
nice to prepare the same query first to avoid being parsed/optimized each
time. But psql opens a new backend each time, it looks like that
PREPARE/EXECUTE doesn't work. Is there any workaround?

Thanks

Instant message with integrated webcam using MSN Messenger 6.0. Try it now
FREE! http://msnmessenger-download.com