help with scheme changes to live system.

From: "Tony Yang" <gnalesad(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: help with scheme changes to live system.
Date: 2004-08-19 22:00:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Gurus,

Please forgive this naive question:

Say, I have a table (containerId, itemId) where for each containerId there
are several rows (different itemId value) in that table. Now I want to give
those rows (with same containerId) a sequence, so add one colum there to
make it become (containerId, itemId, sequence); how do I make such changes
through SQL?

I know how to alter the table to insert that new column, but how do I
populate the existed rows on that new column? note the sequence dose not
need to confirm to any sorting of other columns, i.e., as long as there is a
sequence is ok. for example, if I already have :

containerId | itemId |
1 1001
1 1002
1 1003
2 2001
2 2002

then either

containerId | itemId | sequence
1 1001 0
1 1002 1
1 1003 2
2 2001 1
2 2002 0

or

containerId | itemId | sequence
1 1001 2
1 1002 1
1 1003 0
2 2001 0
2 2002 1

are all OK.

Thanks,
Gnale

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee