Re: Inconsistency between postgresql.conf and docs

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inconsistency between postgresql.conf and docs
Date: 2011-06-29 12:35:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 11:52 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> But in the sample file, the "synchronous_standby_names" parameter is the
> first parameter under the heading "- Streaming Replication - Server
> Settings" while in the documentation, that parameter has its own
> subsection 18.5.5 after the "streaming replication" section 18.5.4.
> Since the rest of section 18.5.4 was more than a screenful in my
> browser, at first glance i didn't spot 18.5.5 and was confused.
>
> He is correct.  So, my question is, should the docs change, or should
> postgresql.conf.sample change?

Another thing that's a bit strange there is that most of the
section-header comments in postgresql.conf say:

# - Section Name -

i.e. they begin and end with a dash.  Whereas that one for some reason says:

# - Streaming Replication - Server Settings

And probably should just say:

# - Streaming Replication -

I don't have a strong feeling on whether or not we should put that
setting in its own section.  Right now, we only have one setting for
synchronous replication, so I guess maybe it depends on if we think
there will be more in the future.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company