Re: [DOCS] 9.0.3 pdf manual is missing bookmarks

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, gabriele(dot)garuglieri(at)infoblu(dot)it, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] 9.0.3 pdf manual is missing bookmarks
Date: 2011-04-17 06:57:17
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-www

On Apr 17, 2011 1:32 AM, "Josh Kupershmidt" <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> [CC'ing the -www list, since this affects the PDFs provided by the
> website. Ugh, and resending without attachments since it looks like
> the last attempt didn't make it to the list.]
>
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 2:15 AM, <gabriele(dot)garuglieri(at)infoblu(dot)it> wrote:
> > the 9.0.2 has them, but 9.0.3 pdf documentation is missing the
bookmarks.
> > When looking for something is a real pain having to always use find or
> > switch back to TOC pages.
> >
> > Any chance that you can generate and republish a corrected doc?
>
> Hi Gabriele,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to report this, and sorry for the delay in
> following up. Just to clarify what (I think) Gabriele is complaining
> about, here [1] is a screenshot from the Okular viewer of the
> 9.0.3 -A4 or -US PDFs from the website [2]. You can see that the
> "Contents" pane in the top left is greyed out [3].
>
> When I built these PDFs from the 9.0.3 tarball myself, the results
> looked better [4]. Assuming this fixes Gabriele's problem, could we
> update the website with the fixed versions [5] of the 9.0.3 PDFs?

Could this be because of the efforts to reduce the size of the pdf's that
was implemented a while ago?

> Also, I noticed that the page of PDFs is not consistent with the PDF
> naming scheme wrt. minor version numbers. We provide e.g.
> "postgresql-8.4.6-A4.pdf" and "postgresql-9.0-A4.pdf". Personally, I
> like having the minor version number included, but could we just be
> consistent either way?

We have a standard now, 8.4 just predates it. The standard is without the
minor version, and the reasining behind this is both that it decreases
storage requiremenyåts and more imoortant that a new version doesn't
invalidate all old links, both on our own sites and othets...

/Magnus