random I/O

From: Willy-Bas Loos <willybas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: random I/O
Date: 2011-05-05 15:28:10
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi,

It just occurred to me that it is not necessarily the case that reading the
indexes causes a lot of random I/O (on the index itself).
I mean, maybe the index is generally read sequentially and then, when
retrieving the data, there is a lot of random I/O. (which could be on a
different spindle..)

Can anyone tell me or point me to some info?

thx,

WBL

--
"Patriotism is the conviction that your country is superior to all others
because you were born in it." -- George Bernard Shaw

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: JORGE MALDONADODate: 2011-05-05 18:06:09