Re: Compiling a static libpq

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Julia Jacobson <julia(dot)jacobson(at)arcor(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Compiling a static libpq
Date: 2011-04-04 16:08:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Julia Jacobson <julia(dot)jacobson(at)arcor(dot)de> wrote:
> After having done extensive web search and not found anybody to solve the
> problem of interest on the general PostgreSQL mailing list, in the
> PostgreSQL newsgroup on usenet or on the PostgreSQL IRC channel, I would
> like to ask you how to compile a static libpq working without a dynamic
> libpq.
> So far, I've compiled libpq (from PostgreSQL version 8.4.6, 8.4.7 and 9.0.3)
> on my own under Linux (Ubuntu 10.4), Mac OS X 10.4 and Windows 7 using GCC.
> Indeed, I always succeeded in producing libpq.a, but linking this library to
> a minimal application resulted in a program which only ran with libpq.dylib
> (libpq.dll or - depending on the platform) being present and not
> without it.
> It seems like the libpq.a produced by compiling PostgreSQL with
> "./configure" and "make" still imports the dynamic libpq.
> Is there a way to get rid of the dependence on the dynamic libpq library in
> PostgreSQL client applications?

I was able to compile and run the testlibpq.c example on Fedora 12.  I
deleted the entire installation tree after compiling it, so there was
no dynamic libpq to be found.

gcc -I$HOME/project/include -L$HOME/project/lib testlibpq.c -o
testlibpq -static -lpq -lpthread

It might help to troubleshoot if you could provide more details on
exactly what you did, including the compiler invocation.

Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company