Re: SYSTEM_IDENTIFY fields was:(Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Include more status information in walsender results)

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SYSTEM_IDENTIFY fields was:(Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Include more status information in walsender results)
Date: 2011-05-02 10:30:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 03:13, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>> Include more status information in walsender results
>>
>> Add the current xlog insert location to the response of
>> IDENTIFY_SYSTEM
>
> why was this third field added to SYSTEM_IDENTIFY? can't find any
> place where it's used...
> not even on BaseBackup() before the call to SYSTEM_IDENTIFY was removed

I believe this was discussed before the patch was committed, but here
is the short version: It is required for the streaming client. It
didn't make it into 9.1, but given that it's a very useful tool
outside it, I think we should still keep the functionality in the
server.

Prior to this, that client required two separate logins, once to get
the current xlog location and then another one to do the streaming.
With this, the information is available over the streaming protocol
alone.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/