Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams
Date: 2011-06-13 18:36:12
Lists: pgsql-docs
On 13 June 2011 14:35, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I just created a drawing, saved it, then
> modified it a bit.  The spurious diff from the GUI was quite small:  three
> lines of junk with the filename change and some windowing metadata.  And the
> new material added showed in a pretty readable diff as I would hope too.
>  Original file and diff attached as samples.

It appears you've saved it in the Inkscape SVG format as it uses
Inkscape markup.  It's probably better to save it as a plain SVG since
other editors may remove the Inkscape-specific markup anyway.

I just did a quick test drawing a squiggly line in Inkscape, saved it
in both formats.  The Inkscape SVG takes up 60 lines, the plain one is
35.  I opened both in LibreOffice and exported them back to new SVG
files and the file lengths were further reduced, although both outputs
were identical to one another (the Inkscape format
LibreOffice-converted file identical to the plain format
LibreOffice-converted file).  But this time it removed all line breaks
and became one continuous line of markup.  So that would be disastrous
from a delta point of view.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion