Re: Unpacking a Python list in a query.

From: David Niergarth <dn(at)hddesign(dot)com>
To: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Sukhbir Singh <singheinstein(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Unpacking a Python list in a query.
Date: 2011-06-24 19:36:16
Lists: psycopg

Actually, a list or a tuple will work just fine.

>>> cursor.execute("UPDATE foobartable SET name = %s where name = %s;",
['Ham', 'HAM'])

>>> cursor.execute("UPDATE foobartable SET name = %s where name = %s;",
('Spam', 'SPAM'))

It's string interpolation (which you want to avoid in cursor.execute()) that
requires a list.

>>> '%s %s' % ('spam', 'eggs')
'spam eggs'

>>> '%s %s' % ['spam', 'eggs']
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<console>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: not enough arguments for format string

You can also use a dictionary.

>>> cursor.execute("UPDATE foobartable SET name = %(new_name)s where name
= %(old_name)s;", dict(new_name='Eggs', old_name='EGGS'))

--David