Re: More link spam getting through to the lists

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More link spam getting through to the lists
Date: 2011-06-09 16:12:11
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> As far as this problem goes, anyway, I've sort of seen a similar problem
> in the spanish list: some long-subscribed fellow seems to get
> "something" in their Hotmail account (I've seen a couple from Gmail as
> well, but Hotmail seems to be more frequently affected) and they start
> sending link spam such as the above.

There's a reason Google has put so much effort into things like:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/advanced-sign-in-security-for-your.html

Hijacking webmail acconuts is a huge problem. If you share passwords
with any other service or use a guessable password I highly recommend
turning on this feature. Of course it doesn't help with our spam
problems. The good news is that Google does track down this accounts
and disables them (not so good news for the owners of the accounts but
better than having someone else have access to your account
indefinitely) but of course as long as the spammers have a continual
supply of them that doesn't really help.

There might be a place you can report them, are we seeing more than
one from any given account?

--
greg