Re: experimental Netty-based protocol implementation

From: Maciek Sakrejda <msakrejda(at)truviso(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: experimental Netty-based protocol implementation
Date: 2011-04-04 06:55:13
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

For what it's worth, I've been working on an ActionScript PostgreSQL
driver [1] off and on for a year and change, and I've found the
event-driven I/O is a godsend when writing this sort of library. It's
much easier to just react to protocol-level messages as they happen
rather than trying to follow one of several specific sequences of
steps. I don't know anything about Netty, but from glancing through
the patch, Oliver, this actually looks rather similar to what I did.

Of course, in ActionScript, I had the luxury of defining an
asynchronous interface for the driver. In fact, due to Flash Player's
non-blocking nature, this was a requirement. With Java, we still need
to serve the blocking interface of methods like execute(), and that
might get a little tricky.

However, my overall point is that I'm very excited for this work. It
could get greatly simplify a lot of driver guts and help solve a
number of open "back-burner" issues.

[1]: https://github.com/deafbybeheading/pegasus (N.B.: although trust
and basic password authentication and most major aspects of both the
simple and extended query protocols work, this still hasn't had a
public release--caveat emptor)
---
Maciek Sakrejda | System Architect | Truviso

1065 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Suite 215
Foster City, CA 94404
(650) 242-3500 Main
www.truviso.com