Re: Unlogged vs. In-Memory

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "Jehan-Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais" <ioguix(at)free(dot)fr>, damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>, Roy Hann <specially(at)processed(dot)almost(dot)meat>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Rob Wultsch <wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Unlogged vs. In-Memory
Date: 2011-05-05 18:28:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackers
On 5 May 2011 19:17, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

>> Saying "similar to in-memory tables" sounds immediately misleading to
>> me.  If I didn't know any better, I'd assume:
>
> We can be perfectly technically correct, or we can have people who
> aren't already PostgreSQL users get interested enough to try our stuff.
>  There is no third choice.
>
> So far, the only suggestions I've seen for how to advocate this feature
> have involved renaming it, which isn't realistic at this point.  If
> someone has an alternative description for the feature that anyone who
> is not already a PostgreSQL DBA will care about, them please come
> forward with it.

How about my original suggestion which is: tables that sacrifice
crash-safety for speed... or much faster tables at the expense of
crash-safety?  A sub-note to that could be that in the unlikely event
of a crash, the table data will be lost, but not the table.

I personally haven't used "in-memory" tables, so may be appropriate to
the DBA demographic.  It doesn't sound right in my head though.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company