Re: Proposed patch: Smooth replication during VACUUM FULL

From: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposed patch: Smooth replication during VACUUM FULL
Date: 2011-04-30 19:09:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Gabriele Bartolini
<gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I have noticed that during VACUUM FULL on reasonably big tables, replication
> lag climbs. In order to smooth down the replication lag, I propose the
> attached patch which enables vacuum delay for VACUUM FULL.

AFAICS, the problem is that those operations involve the rebuild of
tables, so we can't simply stop in the middle and wait because we will
need to hold a strong lock more time... also the patch seems to be
only doing something for CLUSTER and not for VACUUM FULL.
or am i missing something?

Jaime Casanova
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte y capacitación de PostgreSQL