Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "ktm(at)rice(dot)edu" <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu>, Kim Bisgaard <kim+pg(at)alleroedderne(dot)adsl(dot)dk>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Joe Abbate <jma(at)freedomcircle(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project
Date: 2011-05-31 14:28:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 16:21, Kevin Grittner
> "ktm(at)rice(dot)edu" <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu> wrote:
>
>> maybe we can do some tweaking our search engine to improve it.
>
> A custom dictionary to carefully add a few synonyms might go a long
> way.  I often need to try a number of permutations of likely words
> to get relevant hits.

If you can provide one, please do :-)
Right now, all we have is:
postgres postgres
postgresql postgres
pgsql postgres
pg postgres
postgre postgres

> Including the subject line in searches, with a higher weight than
> message body text, would also be great.

We already do this - we set them to class "A" with setweight().

> Possibly it would help to be able to search on From or To fields
> (including CC in the To).  Sometimes you have some recollection who
> participated in a discussion, but can't find the magic terms to get
> a small result set which includes the right discussion.

This we don't do -w e store the From field, but we don't index it. And
we don't do anything with the To field.

So that's certainly something we could add.

> I really think some pretty minor tweaks in these areas would go a
> very long way toward making the archive searches more useful.

Any patches are definitely welcome - you can find the search system at
https://pgweb.postgresql.org/browser/trunk/portal/tools/search :-)

(for the archives, you're probably most interested in
classes/ArchiveIndexer.class.php and the sql/functions.sql file)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/