Re: WIP: Fast GiST index build

From: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Fast GiST index build
Date: 2011-06-15 08:25:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <
heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Is this relocation mechanism something that can be tuned, for different
> tradeoffs between index quality and build time?

Yes, it can. I believe that it can be index parameter.

> In any case, it seems that we're going to need a lot of testing with
> different data sets to get a better picture of how this performs.

Sure. My problem is that I haven't large enough reallife datasets. Picture
of syntetic datasets can be unrepresentative on reallife cases. On smaller
datasets that I have I actually can compare only index quality. Also, tests
with large datasets takes long time especially without fast build. Probably
solution is to limit cache size during testing. It should allow to measure
I/O benefit even on relatively small datasets. But while I don't know now to
do that on Linux.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.