Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry

From: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Alexey Klyukin <alexk(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry
Date: 2011-05-25 09:37:22
Lists: pgsql-www

2011/5/25 Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>:
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch> wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>> On 05/25/2011 10:49 AM, Dave Page wrote:
>>> For a start, because GForge doesn't let you put arbitrary links on the
>>> project pages
>>
>> Hm.. okay, that's unfortunate.  Is the customized GForge code that we
>> use available somewhere?
>
> Not that I know of (aside from the live server of course)
>
>>> Besides, leaving the site up there doesn't actually solve the issue
>>> that there are probably a ton of security issues in its code, that
>>> would likely still be there even if we did disable all logins.
>>
>> The proposal was to put up a static copy.  That hardly has any security
>> issues, I think.
>
> Actually generating a static copy may be a non-trivial amount of work
> though. It's easy enough to spider the site and store it as a static
> HTML, but we'd also need to ensure we remove any links or forms to
> non-static features of course.

I believe we don't care :)
We can just add a disclaimer at top of each page : "this site is only
for archive, do not expect each link to work. Thank you."

Those are technical arguments, the point is do we want to trash all of
that or not ?

I don't want to trash it, even if XX% are dead things with no linkto-url.