Re: Contemplating SSD Hardware RAID

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Contemplating SSD Hardware RAID
Date: 2011-06-21 21:35:33
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> strange values mean. It's too bad however that OCZ doesn't let the user
>> choose which firmware to run (the tool always picks the newest), so after
>> every upgrade it'll be a surprise what values are supported or if any of the
> That right there pretty much eliminates them from consideration for
> enterprise applications.

As much as I've been irritated with Intel for being intentionally
oblique on the write caching issue -- I think they remain more or less
the only game in town for enterprise use.  The x25-e has been the only
drive up until recently to seriously consider for write heavy
applications (and Greg is pretty skeptical about that even).   I have
directly observed vertex pro drives burning out in ~ 18 months in
constant duty applications (which if you did the math is about right
on schedule) -- not good enough IMO.

ISTM Intel is clearly positioning the 710 Lyndonville as the main
drive in database environments to go with for most cases.   At 3300
IOPS (see
and some tinkering that results in 65 times greater longevity than
standard MLC, I expect the drive will be a huge hit as long as can
sustain those numbers writing durably and it comes it at under the
10$/gb price point.