Re: Input and Output data traffic

From: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Israel Ben Guilherme Fonseca <israel(dot)bgf(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Input and Output data traffic
Date: 2011-05-11 14:56:56
Lists: psycopg

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Israel Ben Guilherme Fonseca
<israel(dot)bgf(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I'm explicitly committing the insert instruction at every iteration, so I
> don't think that's possible to cache all the inserts in one statement like
> you did.

In this case, it may be due to the "set isolation level" issued
together with the "begin" by psycopg. Because you send a very short
statement between BEGIN/COMMIT pair the code for the set could be a
relevant part of the communication. The overhead would be less
relevant with bigger commands per transaction of course.

This is a point I just wanted to talk about on the ML: will try to
write this evening/in the next few days.

-- Daniele