Building on MS Visual Studio Express 2010

From: Adam Scott <adam(dot)c(dot)scott(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Building on MS Visual Studio Express 2010
Date: 2011-04-24 20:27:48
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi All,

was able to get pgadminiii to build using MS Visual Studio Express 2010 for
REL-1_13_DEV

This is from memory but here are the major points that might help someone
else:

When opening the solution file I let VSE upgrade the project files. It made
some kind of warning if I remember correctly, and I ignored it :)

When compiling I got a pg2c.exe error. pg2c is used to create wxwindows
icons. The problem was in how VSE upgraded the project files.

To get around this just do the following.
Search for %(png2c.CommandLineTemplate) in pgAdmin3.targets and replace with
&quot;%(png2c.CommandLineTemplate)&quot

The "ampersand quot" indicated above is explicitly required and not a
misformatting of this message you are reading now. XML uses ampersands to
indicate special characters.

The next roadblocks in building may have been due to mine not setting up the
environment for libxml correctly as specified in the instructions. I have
libxml2 and there's a reference to libxml in favourites.h (if I recall). In
any case I just kept adding paths for the linker and compiler until it was
able to resolve the correct directories.

Hope this helps someone.

Adam C. Scott