Re: Input and Output data traffic

From: Israel Ben Guilherme Fonseca <israel(dot)bgf(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Input and Output data traffic
Date: 2011-05-13 04:48:56
Lists: psycopg
Hi again,

I'm still doing my performance tests, but now psycopg2 is really kicking the
bucket with an extremely low traffic usage in comparison to Java. My brand
new test, shows a difference of 8 times, and again I think that it could be
wrong, so that's why I'm here... again.

A guy in the jdbc-mailist give me a tip of a program to measure traffic
usage, it's called 'wireshark', very good indeed and I got this following
results:

1 'Person' table, 2 columns (id, name), 7000++ registers.

The traffic difference was:

Java     220861 Bytes
Python 29014 Bytes

A difference of 8x. Now, I did the same test with my old proxy
implementation and got similar results. So.. that's strange. Very strange.
My question is, is there any specific implementation detail on psycopg?
Maybe some voodoo magic? :)

I think that's much probably that I'm doing something wrong, but I did and
redid all the tests many times until now, that I'm starting to accept this.

My ONLY track of explanation is this postgres log (debug5)

JAVA

simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  análise de <unnamed>: select * from "Person"
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  StartTransactionCommand
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  StartTransaction
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  name: unnamed; blockState:       DEFAULT; state:
INPROGR, xid/subid/cid: 0/1/0, nestlvl: 1, children:
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  ligação de <unnamed> para <unnamed>
simpletests LOG:  executar <unnamed>: select * from "Person"
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  CommitTransactionCommand
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  CommitTransaction
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  name: unnamed; blockState:       STARTED; state:
INPROGR, xid/subid/cid: 0/1/0, nestlvl: 1, children:
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  shmem_exit(0): 6 callbacks to make
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  proc_exit(0): 4 callbacks to make
simpletests LOG:  desconexão: tempo da sessão: 0:00:12.172 usuário=postgres
banco de dados=simpletests máquina=localhost port=56401
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  exit(0)
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  shmem_exit(-1): 0 callbacks to make
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  proc_exit(-1): 0 callbacks to make

PYTHON

simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  StartTransactionCommand
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  StartTransaction
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  name: unnamed; blockState:       DEFAULT; state:
INPROGR, xid/subid/cid: 0/1/0, nestlvl: 1, children:
simpletests LOG:  comando: BEGIN; SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ
COMMITTED
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  ProcessUtility
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  CommitTransactionCommand
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  StartTransactionCommand
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  ProcessUtility
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  CommitTransactionCommand
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  StartTransactionCommand
simpletests LOG:  comando: select * from "Person"
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  CommitTransactionCommand

The python log looks somewhat cleaner, and Java got this:

simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  shmem_exit(0): 6 callbacks to make
simpletests DEPURAÇÃO:  proc_exit(0): 4 callbacks to make

10 extra callbacks? I dont have any idea about what is about, but maybe it
could mean something.

I hosted all the files and source code for this test-case on google code. If
you are using ubuntu it probabbly take just 10 minutes to execute everthing
and see this with your own eyes (and hopefully someone would say "your
idiot, you did THAT <code> wrong"). Just read the readme to get the tests
running.

http://orm-native-comparative.googlecode.com/files/tests.zip

If you got time to test it, thanks. If you don't, thanks anyway to at least
read this huge email.

Israel