Re: branching for 9.2devel

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: branching for 9.2devel
Date: 2011-04-26 01:47:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 2:07 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
> Oh, it just occurred to me that maybe you thought the whole thing
> *including* indent would be reimplemented in perl. That was never my
> intention, and is a much larger project than I had in mind.

Oh, I thought that was what you were proposing too.

I was king of shocked that people would propose that so freely since
it seemed like a huge project to me too. But then after thinking about
it I wonder if it wouldn't be easier than it sounds. Being able to
hard code our own indentation rules instead of having to implement
every possible combination and not having to recognize cases that
don't arise in Postgres might make it easier than the problem GNU/BSD
indent are trying to solve.

It doesn't strike me as a project that's particularly rewarding though.

--
greg