Re: Postgres service refuses to start on windows

From: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Roman Isitua <romanisitua(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres service refuses to start on windows
Date: 2011-06-20 19:09:16
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Roman Isitua <romanisitua(at)yahoo(dot)com>wrote:

> I having an issue with my postgres database installed on a windows xp. For
> some reason, I can no longer start the postgres service through pgadmin or
> the services window. I get the following error:
> Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in
> a timely fashion.
>
> Any ideas ?

When you attempt to restart, notice any error logs in the pg-log directory.
Any information there will give a clue.

On a related note, I had this experience once with Pg 8.2 and Windows 2K.
For some reason, the Postgres working directory was set to be read-only.  I
have no idea how this happened - perhaps it was the anti-virus software or a
rogue admin.  But once I reset the directory it worked.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.