Re: Major features for 9.1

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Major features for 9.1
Date: 2011-05-02 16:02:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> * SQL/MED with FILE_FDW
> Reason: allows using PostgreSQL to query any kind of data source you can
> roll a driver for.  First one shipping reads CSV files, eliminating the
> need to COPY them into the database in many cases.

> * SEPostgres
> SE-Postgres has been integrated into PostgreSQL through generic security
> hooks and a contrib module.  Allows "military" level security/control
> over database.

Having just read the Beta announcement (well done!) I think we need to
explain what some of these features are a little more for the main
release.

I'm betting that only about 10% of people that care about databases
would know what SQL/MED is. Much better to say "Distributed Database
(Read-only)", or similar.

SE-Postgres isn't known to most people, and similarly, not everybody
has heard of SE-Linux or knows what its for.
How about "Generic Label Security, with integration to Security
Enhanced Linux (SELinux)"

Doesn't need to be more "marketingy" just more descriptive, fewer acronyms.