Re: Major features for 9.1

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Major features for 9.1
Date: 2011-05-02 16:02:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> Reason: allows using PostgreSQL to query any kind of data source you can
> roll a driver for.  First one shipping reads CSV files, eliminating the
> need to COPY them into the database in many cases.

> * SEPostgres
> SE-Postgres has been integrated into PostgreSQL through generic security
> hooks and a contrib module.  Allows "military" level security/control
> over database.

Having just read the Beta announcement (well done!) I think we need to
explain what some of these features are a little more for the main

I'm betting that only about 10% of people that care about databases
would know what SQL/MED is. Much better to say "Distributed Database
(Read-only)", or similar.

SE-Postgres isn't known to most people, and similarly, not everybody
has heard of SE-Linux or knows what its for.
How about "Generic Label Security, with integration to Security
Enhanced Linux (SELinux)"

Doesn't need to be more "marketingy" just more descriptive, fewer acronyms.

 Simon Riggs