Re: Problem trying to compile PgAdmin

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Timwi <timwi(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem trying to compile PgAdmin
Date: 2011-05-28 00:21:50
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 12:06 AM, Timwi <timwi(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> Hahaha... “simple instructions” :-D. All it says is:
>
> “Under Windows, we recommend using TortoiseGIT, which is free software.”
>
> And that’s it. Nice “simple instructions” there.

We're not reproducing the helpfile for another GUI app. We do however,
also include instructions on that same page for checking out a tree
using the command line tools as most *nix users would use, and as can
be used with Msysgit. It's not quite the one-liner you imply.

> So I tried using this “MSysGit” instead, which admittedly finally did the
> job, but only by installing a whole frickin’ Linux-like shell in which it
> could run. I managed to check out the pgAdmin source with that, but once I
> exited that shell, I can now no longer find any way to bring it back — there
> is a batch file in its installation directory, but that only opens another
> cmd.exe window. Very useful.
>
> Trying to use git.exe itself directly just gives this useless error:
>
>        http://bit.ly/jPRHTh
>
> One would have thought that installing a program with all its dependencies
> should be a solved problem by now. Clearly git has not quite arrived in the
> 21st century yet.
>
> Now, don’t get me wrong — I’m not saying any of this is your fault :). But
> it *is* a problem and it *does* pose a lot of hoops to jump through.

I've never had any problems like that with msysgit. It's worked well
for me on multiple XP and Windows 7 machines, in the standard cmd.exe
shell, just using a straightforward installation. I've never heard of
any of our other contributors having problems either. Perhaps there's
something unusual about your machine?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com