Re: updating rows which have a common value forconsecutive dates

From: Lonni J Friedman <netllama(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: updating rows which have a common value forconsecutive dates
Date: 2011-04-14 04:52:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi David,
Thanks for your reply. I'm using 8.4.7, so window functions are
certainly an option, although I've admittedly never used them before.
I've spent the past few hours reading the dox, and I now have a
rudimentary understanding of window functions. I tried to compose a
query based on your suggestion, but I think i'm running up against my
lack of experience. This query seems to give me all failures but not
neccesarily when there are two in a row for a unique group (although
I'm still not 100% certain its actually returning only last_update
consecutive rows):
SELECT testname,os,arch,build_type,branch,current_status,last_update,rank()
OVER (PARTITION BY testname,os,arch,branch,build_type ORDER BY
last_update DESC) FROM mytable WHERE current_status='FAILED' AND
age(now(),last_update) <= INTERVAL '15 days'

However, if I'm understanding how this works, what I really care about
is when a rank=2 exists, as that's truly when something failed for two
consecutive last_update's. I thought this might do it, but apparently
I'm doing it wrong:

SELECT testname,os,arch,build_type,branch,current_status,last_update,rank()
OVER (PARTITION BY testname,os,arch,branch,build_type ORDER BY
last_update DESC) FROM mytable WHERE current_status='FAILED' AND
age(now(),last_update) <= INTERVAL '15 days' AND rank()=2 ;
ERROR: window function call requires an OVER clause
LINE 1: ... age(now(),last_update) <= INTERVAL '15 days' AND rank()=2 ;

How do I restrict the results to only show when rank=2 ?

thanks!