Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry

From: Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)chesnok(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry
Date: 2011-05-20 14:40:14
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 7:15 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> Following some discussions last night at PGCon, I'd therefore like to
> propose that we deprecate and eventually shutdown the PGFoundry
> service. This would involve:
>
> - Emailing all users with the details of the shutdown timetable.
>
> - Suggest users migrate to GitHub or Sourceforge, depending on their needs.
>
> - Migrate "core" projects (such as psqlODBC and the press/advocacy
> project) to mailing lists in postgresql.org (if required) and to
> git.postgresql.org.
>
> - Offer other users tarballs of their CVS repos, mail archives and downloads.
>
> - After 6 months, shut down the system and permanently archive it.
>
> Comments?

+1

A couple more things:
* Enter projects on pgfoundry into the Software Catalogue, and add
search functionality to the catalogue.
* Collect contact information for the developers of existing and
retiring projects. I think it would be very helpful to save people's
information, even if we don't have a public resource list.

Also, I'd like it in chartreuse.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com