Re: tackling full page writes

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tackling full page writes
Date: 2011-05-25 13:05:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I'm not sure that these ideas are much good, but
> for the sake of posterity:

Both (1) and (2) seem promising to me.

Heikki mentioned (2) would only be effective if we managed to change
*all* WAL records. ISTM likely that we would find that difficult
and/or time consuming and/or buggy.

I would qualify that by saying *all* WAL record types for a certain
page type, such as all btree index pages. Not that much better, since
heap and btree are the big ones, ISTM.

(1) seems like we could do it incrementally if we supported both
partial and full page writes at same time. That way we could work on
the most frequent record types over time. Not sure if that is
possible, but seems worth considering.