Re: planet in more languages

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndquadrant(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: planet in more languages
Date: 2011-05-16 09:13:24
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 11:10, Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndquadrant(dot)de> wrote:
> Hello Magnus and all,
>
> On 13.05.2011 15:44, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>> Seems like a good idea. I've opposed the idea of mixing languages in
>> the main feed from planet, but I'm definitely not against having
>> separate language feeds. I'd probably advocate
>> planet.postgresql.org/fr/ instead of a separate hostname (because then
>> it can be made entirely dynamic in the app rather than rely on dns
>> changes, for one). And it could be possible to set up something like
>> http://planet.postgresql.org/en-fr-de/ that would show an aggregation
>> of all those languages for those that want it.
>
> I really don't mind how the URL looks. That is up to you.
>
> The response shows me that we could need it for French, Spanish,
> Italian and German.
>
> My feeling says that also Japanese could have interests.

Possibly.

> Anyway - fr, es, it and de - these are also languages where I don't see
> a problem with policy violating checks. There are enough contributors
> speaking the language. I think you know what I mean.

Well, before a new language is added, we'd need to have somebody who
can do policy checks. As long as we have such a requirement, we could
add any language.

> I think something like http://planet.postgresql.org/en-fr-de-it-es/ is not
> necessary.
>
> I am not a fan from statistics at all but when there are statistics then
> I think it is necessary that they are counted for all languages and not
> English only.
>
> I think en-fr-de-it-es - showing all contents on one page will end up in
> chaos.
>
> Latest when we would add Russian or Japanese I would bet that you maximum
> will find
> a handful ppl understanding all languages.
>
> It might be a good idea just showing the topics ordered by timestamp linked
> to the
> special language planet. But not the whole blog content.

The idea is you can pick any combination you want - not necessarily
all of them. E.g someone wants english+german, someone else
english+french, and somebody who likes the chaos you mention wants
english, german, french and spanish all at once..

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/