Merged Model for libpq

From: Annamalai Gurusami <annamalai(dot)gurusami(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Merged Model for libpq
Date: 2011-03-31 16:34:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi All,

I would like to know about the best approach to take for providing a merged
model of libpq library. When I say "merged model" it means that the client
and server would be running as a single process. A single client libpq
application can be linked to either the client-server libpq library or
merged libpq library. For more clarity here is a small flow diagram:

Client Server Model:

Application -> libpq library (cs) -> TCP/IP network -> libpq (backend) ->
pgsql server

Merged Model:

Application -> libpq library (merged) -> pgsql server

One approach that we are having in mind is to use the SPI interface and
re-implement the libpq APIs. Is there any other better approach? Would it
be possible to implement the client server protocol into an API interface,
without involving the TCP/IP network?

Your thoughts and suggestions on this would be highly appreciated.

Rgds,
anna

--
'உண்மை ஒருநாள் வெளியாகும், அதில் உள்ளங்களெல்லாம் தெளிவாகும்.
பொறுமை ஒருநாள் புலியாகும், அதற்கு பொய்யும் புரட்டும் பலியாகும்.'